Quick Guide for a Sewer Repair Under the Sidewalk or Roadway
January 11, 2019
Repairing or replacing a sewer line is not your everyday occurrence, most people experience a broken sewer once in a lifetime. In most cases, once you found out that the sewer line is broken it is an extreme emergency and the homeowner is in a panic. We have created a quick guide to assist our customers in the event of a sewer emergency:
1. Find a trustworthy and experienced water main and sewer contractor who holds the required license and NYC bond to work in the streets of NYC.
2. Once you have hired a contractor he will begin working on all of the required permits which may include DEP and DOT permits.
3. Once the permits have been secured it is time to start reserving the parking. The reason we reserve the parking is not for the trucks to park, it is because the city water mains and sewers are usually located directly below where the parking spaces are under the public roadway. If you live in NYC you understand the challenges of trying to reserve a parking space.
4. Now that the parking is reserved the installation crew will mark out the roadway or sidewalk and begin excavating down to the damaged sewer pipe.
5. Now that we have located the old sewer line we will begin the removal of the old pipe in anticipation of the new cast iron sewer line.
6. Once the new cast iron sewer line is installed and inspected by DEP, the crew will begin back filling and compacting the soil.