Being a property owner in New York City can become challenging with all the unexpected expenses to upkeep your home. When managing a property, you should be aware of the water mains and sewers that lay below the surface of your home. For property owners that are unfamiliar, here is a guide to assist you in understanding everything you need to know about water main and sewer services in NYC.
Understanding the Importance of NYC’s Sewer and Water System
New York City has one of the most intricate sewage and water systems in the world. These systems serve millions of people ensuring clean water and efficient sewage removal.
Common Issues Faced by Homeowners
- Water main breaks are often caused by a rapid change in temperature or old age. A cracked or broken water main can disrupt the home’s water supply, in addition to damaging the property.
- Sewage backups are most common for NYC homeowners because of tree roots, grease or broken pipes which are a common cause of sewer backflows into the house.
- Corrosion or deterioration of pipes may lead to water main leaks and reduced water pressure.
Signs You Require a Licensed Plumber
- Water discoloration
- A reduction in water pressure
- Foul odors in your basement near the sewer trap
- Water seeping out of the sidewalk or street that is fronting your home.
Why You Need a Licensed Plumber
Only a NYC licensed master plumber is familiar with working below the streets of NYC. Your average plumber does not have the experience or credentials to work with the NYC DOT in the event of a broken sewer or water main.
Choosing the Right Contractor
When checking for a water main and sewer contractor in NYC:
- Check for a valid license on the DOB website.
- Take the time and research the company online.
- Seek recommendations from a friend or family member.
- Research their experience working in NYC.
The job cost will vary depending on the details associated with your job. A few factors to consider include the depth of your pipe, linear footage of pipe to be installed and location of your water main or sewer. Always get more than one quote and make sure that the proposal includes as much detail as possible.
The NYC water main and sewer systems are a crucial part of our daily lives. If you are facing an emergency or seeking a lead to copper water main upgrade, always opt for a local and experienced licensed plumber.
Are you in need of water main or sewer services in NYC? Harris Water Main & Sewer Contractors has been serving the New York metro area for over 100 years. Please feel free to call our office at 718-495-3600 if you have any questions.