Congratulations on the construction of your new home! As you begin the journey, there are several aspects to be mindful of, one of which is installing the water main and sewer. We agree, it is not the most exciting part of the process. However, it is the backbone of your dream home. It is important to understand the significance of your water main, sewer and all the variables associated with the installation process.
The Importance of Your New Sewer and Water Main
Water mains and sewer systems play an important role in providing clean water and removing wastewater from your new home. Without a functional infrastructure, your home may lack access to essential utilities, leading to issues before you move in. By the correct size water main and sewer, you ensure the sewage system is secure and prepared to handle your water for many years to come!
The Installation Process: Step-by-Step
- Prior to the installation beginning, an experienced professional will assess your property to determine where the water main and sewer will be installed. If you have approved plans by the DEP, we will work in adherence to the plans
- Once the site assessment is complete, will issue a formal proposal including all variables for your water main and sewer installation. In most cases there is a call to discuss in detail and review he specifics.
- The first start is applying for the permits. Once in hand, the construction crew will be scheduled and begin excavating and trenching the designated areas. This process includes excavating with a backhoe, or by hand in some cases. The pipe are installed per plan and are inspected by the city for final sign off.
- The water main pipe material will consist of ductile iron or copper which will be installed inside of the trenches. In most cases, the cast iron sewer is installed in the same trench.
- The newly installed pipes will be connected to the main municipal water supply and sewer lines, inspected by the city and the holes are backfilled.
- The trenches are carefully backfilled and compacted to restore the site to its original condition. The restoration process ensures minimal impact on your property’s landscape when possible.
Benefits of New Water Mains and Sewers
- Reliable Water Supply: New water mains ensure a constant and dependable flow of clean water to your home, promoting good health and hygiene for you and your family.
- Functional sewer system includes properly installed sewer lines removing wastewater from your property, keeping your living environment clean and pleasant.
- Installing new water mains and sewers will increase the value of your home, making it more appealing to potential buyers in the future.
- With a well-designed and professionally installed infrastructure, you can rest assured that your home’s vital utilities are in safe hands, minimizing the risk of unexpected breakdowns or costly repairs.
The key to success lies in working with experienced plumbers who understand the intricacies of you water main and sewer install. Make sure to hire a reputable and licensed plumber to assist with your new plumbing installation.